Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Pretty Girls Playing Chess

I combined Sabrina Smalls silhouettes and 50's storybook style illustrations to create two heads.







You can see I have drawn on Sabrina's surrealist, melty shapes to give the silhouettes a twist. I originally had the girls face to face, as chess is played, but i flipped them back to back because it will allow for better display of the chess pieces, fanning out from the silhouettes. Plus it kind of works and looks better having the girls being closer together so they can melt.

I added very dainty hands which i think are part Sabrina Small part Dr Seuss. I felt it was important to make the hands consistent and realistic. I used images of 50's ladies glove patterns because they are stylised with pointy fingers for a delicate feminine feel. One difficulty was how to evoke a recognisable hand using only shape. On some of the hands I solved this using minimal line to indicate fingers. I chopped and changed some fingers to suggest the deciding, picking and moving hand actions of chess. Although at first just hands, I added a scalloped edge to the wrist and turned them into gloves, which is more fitting with the retro girls.

Here it is after I composed the twin heads and glove elements with the background.



I wish I could say this all came from the random chess poster's 60's style, or that origami = Japan = cute = lolita girls; but i admit i also spent a lot of today watching I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched.

No comments:

Post a Comment