Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Versatile Family Album

I collect other people's family photos. I like seeing the way people grow, act and change through a photo album. I like the saturated tones and the rounded yellowed corners. I find, especially in older eras, generic patterns forming in the staging of photos. There's always someone holding the baby, at a wedding, the family at christmas, arranged on the couch; and then there's the holiday snaps; posed in front of a monument, on the beach, in the snow. I find it quite heartwarming that you can observe similarities between your family and a complete strangers, and yet quite ridiculous that these generic set ups can apply to any family. Until fairly recently, cameras were considered a luxury and only brought out to capture the special moments, like weddings, family holidays and so on, thus the family album becomes somewhat of a constructed reality, representing specific events, only half of the story.

I guess this is the first concept that sprung to mind with Andy Warhol's quote: Isn't life just a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?
and although, "life" is much more than just a family photo album, I think an album tries to record and depict family life. And the images in any album certainly change, and tend to repeat themselves through the life cycle of each generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment